Influencer Fatigue But Make It Bitter | The Launch Of ‘MyBeautyBrand’ Is Totally Misjudged

There’s no denying that influencer fatigue is a very real thing right now; trust of online personalities is at an all-time low, not a week goes by without someone being pinpointed as a ‘bad example’ or highlighted for breaking the rules, while endorsements and collections by big-time-names are no longer received with sell out success. The bubble was always going to burst at some point, but there seems to be a real lack of differentiation between those that genuinely know their stuff vs those who capitalise on their ten minutes of fame by holding up any product that’s willing to pay for the privilege – and the result is more negativity, nastiness and spite than you could shake a Daily Mail commenter at.

As someone who has been blogging for nearly a decade and worked in the industry for far longer, I do find it frustrating that all ‘influencers’ are tarred with the same brush; I too find it more than a little frustrating to see #AD after #AD on my Instagram feed when it feels inauthentic and forced, that I’m constantly told to ‘shop my look with LikeItToKnowIt’ when I just want to know where their skirt is from, and that some entirely neglect the responsibility of speaking to millions of easily influenced teenagers.

But I also see the women in their 30’s, 40’s, 50’s and beyond who are showing that you can wear what you want, do your makeup how you want and go where you want no matter your age; I see the mums sharing the highs and the lows of parenthood, rather than the unrealistic rose-tinted celebrity version we had for decades; I see the makeup artists and industry experts showing us what really makes the cut and how to shop more consciously for a bathroom cabinet that offers effectiveness and value.

The world of content creation has never been as bursting with creativity, knowledge and passion as it is now.

MyBeautyBrand: A Misjudged Launch Born From Influencer Fatigue

However, one brand that has chosen to only see the negative, capitalising on influencer fatigue while (in my opinion) being incredibly short-sighted, is a new kid on the block called MyBeautyBrand. They say it themselves better than I ever could capture, so here’s a snippet of their mantra:

“I’m sick of the braggers, the bloggers and the hashtaggers… I’m sick of the fads. I’m sick of the ads and the wouldn’t be famous if it wasn’t for your dads. Sick of the scammers and the fake tanners and the ‘no makeup makeup instagrammers’… Sick of the sponsored content and constant nonsense…
Sick of the game. Sick of the same.”
– MyBeautyBrand

Blimey. Although I get it, I really do, I can’t help but think they’ve misjudged this entirely; it feels incredibly naive to go in this hard against a community who often have the power to build brands, drive sales and create cult products. Yes, our industry is full of negatives, but it’s also full of positives – if you choose to embrace it in a way that’s beneficial for all. As one of my followers, Rhiannon, on Twitter put it: “without ‘influencers’ a lot of brands wouldn’t have a business.”

There’s a huge difference between embracing inclusiveness, diversity and positivity so that beauty brands do good and encourage us to love ourselves inside and out, and choosing to just be a bitter Negative Nancy. For me, their apparent obsession with hating influencers and social media is out of touch with the realities of the modern world. One of their statements on Instagram reads: “When did beauty get so ugly? When you got paid to say you love me.” Although at first glance it may appear refreshing, what MyBeautyBrand are failing to recognise is the value of working with influencers over more traditional platforms – when done correctly.

MyBeautyBrand: A Misjudged Launch Born From Influencer Fatigue

Choosing the right people to work with in the right ways can be hugely beneficial, but alienating such a huge industry entirely is surely going to backfire during such a critical launch period. In the last five years social media and influencers have undoubtedly kept the beauty industry afloat, if not thriving, and ignoring this entirely is simply ignorant. Having worked at a top five beauty brand a decade ago, when everyone was struggling, I can tell you that the birth of blogging and social media has changed the landscape and democratised beauty like nothing else in its history; without it, many of our favourite names would no longer be available on the high street. And I say that not as a blogger, but as a beauty industry expert.

Continuing on the irony train, their business model is essentially affiliate marketing under another name. “Build your own shop!” they say. “Get 10% commission for sales up to £1000!” they say. “Share your looks with us!” they say. So they’re basically encouraging their community to become influencers by sharing their looks, creating their shops and getting people to follow along and buy into what they say… Isn’t that the exact thing they seem to be against? I’m confused.

What’s baffling about MyBeautyBrand though, is the fact that they’ve chosen to focus so much on what they don’t like and not tell us about anything they do. What do they stand for? What’s different about their products? Why should we choose them over the thousands of other brands out there? Who knows! I’m not intrigued enough to part with my cash to find out.

Hating everything in the style of a Daily Mail reader isn’t enough. And it turns those who could of loved and supported your brand right off from the offset – influencers and influencer enthusiasts alike.

So all I can say is this: Good luck MyBeautyBrand. Let’s see how you get on this time next year…

MyBeautyBrand: A Misjudged Launch Born From Influencer Fatigue

What are your thoughts on this strategy and the brand in general? Let me know below…

If you want to check them out for yourself, you can do so here: www.mybeautybrand.com

Jane from British Beauty Blogger has also written about the brand and tried some of the products here.

If you want a look at the products themselves, here’s a couple of pictures from their site:

MyBeautyBrand: A Misjudged Launch Born From Influencer FatigueMyBeautyBrand: A Misjudged Launch Born From Influencer Fatigue

Share:

1. Rachel
    December 10, 2019 / 11:58 am

Interesting how they seem to think they’re new and different, but the company was formed 4 years ago… You’d think that Lisa Eldridge’s husband would use some of her industry knowledge but this has hit completely the wrong note.

• hayleyhalluk
      Author
      December 11, 2019 / 11:25 am

That’s VERY interesting. I did know who he was but didn’t put two and two together – but it’s absolutely missed the mark and has come across so arrogant that the opinion is universally negative (from the conversations I’ve had.) Such a shame when they could have done something all the more interesting.

2. dreaminlace
    December 10, 2019 / 7:27 pm

Wow! I can’t believe that “brand” would choose to publish such a negative mission statement. Yikes! I too get it, we’ve all seen bad seeds out there — but that’s true in every industry. The bad ones shouldn’t discredit the valuable work so many are doing. Personally, I’m still loving blogs and have been getting back into YouTube videos. It’s nice to see a different spin than the overly commercialized magazines that are out there.

xoxo – Kelly

• hayleyhalluk
      Author
      December 11, 2019 / 11:27 am

It’s so easy for people to bash influencers by only focusing on the negative, but you could say the same of anything; it’s heartbreaking when so many of us work so hard to add value and bring realness. Glad you’re still loving and rediscovering blogs and YT!

3. December 11, 2019 / 10:17 am

BABE I am so glad you’re talking about this! That launch really infuriated me tbh and I think they totally missed the mark of being ‘cool and trendy’ but made it more bitter and cruel

Ellie xx

• hayleyhalluk
      Author
      December 11, 2019 / 11:27 am

100%. I get where they’re coming from, but it’s just come across SO badly and SO misinformed – paired with the fact nobody really knows what they DO stand for.

4. Bella
    December 12, 2019 / 12:04 am

I have been reading beauty blogs and now watching YT for over ten years. I have always been all things beauty obsessed since the days of Francesco Scavello, then Kevin Aucoin. So, I am a bit jaded because I see many YT’ers ( almost all) not being genuine and disclosing that the products have been gifted. There have been laws in place for a while now, and still… crickets. So, while I still watch because I every so often I can tell when someone really likes a product and I will go to Ulta or Sephora and test it out. I rarely buy something without getting a sample first.

• hayleyhalluk
      Author
      December 12, 2019 / 4:00 pm

Although I agree with some of your points about transparency, how do you know something is an undeclared sample? Genuine beauty lovers will still shop and share, so assuming everything is biased does both you and them a disservice. Regardless, that’s not really the issue I’ve been discussing here…

5. Ana
    December 21, 2019 / 10:02 pm

Great post Hayley!

I do partially agree with both sides. So often we see some big influencers talking all the best about the brand and then if you follow them for longer same products are never used (or seen in their vlogs) again. These instances are making the influencers industry untrustful.

I also don’t agree with banning some brands because they don’t target you. I mean we came to the level that everyone gets offended by literally smallest things. I’m 37 and would still buy a product for teenagers if it’s good quality instead of going on and on about their non-inclusivity of 30+ range.

I think the influencer landscape just changed in a way that it’s mission should be educating public in order to make an informed decisions when making their purchases. I absolutely love your approach even though you don’t always target me 😉

Ana from http://www.skinity.co.uk

• hayleyhalluk
      Author
      January 2, 2020 / 1:40 pm

Thanks for your insightful comment Ana! I don’t call to ‘ban’ the brand at all, more digest and discuss its unusual and (in my opinion) misjudged marketing approach. I aim to cut through a lot of the BS and talk about a diverse range of products / price points as I don’t believe we should take a cookie cutter approach to beauty either. I’m interested to see how this brand progresses, seeing as everything on my feeds is overwhelmingly negative!

6. Suz
    December 30, 2019 / 4:24 pm

I think it’s fabulous and refreshing. It won’t get me buying anything, but then again, nothing will.

• hayleyhalluk
      Author
      January 2, 2020 / 1:41 pm

I think you’re maybe in the wrong place then Suz 😉