Why Wanting To Wear What’s Modest & Flattering Is Ok: Bringing Back The Tent Dress

I’m Totally Here For Modest Fashion

During the warmer months, particularly as an older and curvier woman, it can be extremely difficult to navigate summer fashion. It’s hot, it’s clammy and the Central Line at rush hour feels like a Swedish Sauna without the entrance fee, so the last thing you want to do is add too many layers to your look. Although stripping off down to your knickers during your commute isn’t exactly ideal, increasingly there’s a movement (which I wholeheartedly support) that celebrates our choice to wear whatever we like whenever we like, regardless of the size or age we are.

If you want to rock that pair of cycling shorts and a crop top, you do you; if you fancy letting your bingo wings roam free and your chaffing thighs out for an airing, go for it; the best thing about the current climate is that we’re free to celebrate ourselves and our identities in whichever way we want to. But for me, my approach to fashion has always been somewhat covered up and free from skin flashing.

Modest fashion is just my style.

Why Covering Up & Wanting To Wear What's Flattering Is Ok modest fashion Why Covering Up & Wanting To Wear What's Flattering Is Ok modest fashion Why Covering Up & Wanting To Wear What's Flattering Is Ok modest fashion

I love a midi dress, a nipped in waist, a v-neck and a sleeve, because that’s just what I feel my best in. Sure I have my body insecurities (honestly, where did my bingo wings / fat knees / back fat come from?) but instead of showing the world my less-than-perfect bits I prefer to show them my best angle – and that’s ok. Whether you want to stop hiding away and get out there, or prefer to keep your body under wraps no matter the time of year, that’s your choice.

The women that fill my feeds showing off their large and fabulous bodies have my ultimate respect and appreciation, but personally I love a look that enhances my best features and conceals those parts I’m not entirely happy with. In recent months I’ve felt a pang of guilt for wanting to wear what’s flattering; with the increasing conversation surrounding larger bodies being that they shouldn’t be covered away or made to feel like they should be embracing styles that are traditionally slimming, those of us that still want modest fashion can feel a little lost.

Why Covering Up & Wanting To Wear What's Flattering Is Ok modest fashion

But you know what, the whole point of fashion is to have fun and wear what feels good – in whichever shape or form that comes. And if that’s an oversized tent dress, so be it.

So here’s me, in my oversized tent dress that I actually feel great in, telling you that whatever you want to wear this summer is ok. Navigating a packed commuter train is hard enough without us belittling each other’s clothing choices or worrying about what’s clean at 7am on a Tuesday.

I’m here for modest fashion making a comeback.

SHOP THE LOOK

M&S Dress | £25.00 | SIMILAR HERE
F&F @ Tesco Gold Sandals | £10.00 | SIMILAR HERE
New Look Oversized Pink Cardigan | £19.00 | SIMILAR HERE
Radley Rose Gold Bag | £79.00 | LINK
Accessorize Sunglasses | £15.00 | SIMILAR HERE

Why Covering Up & Wanting To Wear What's Flattering Is Ok modest fashion

Share:

1. Kay
    August 16, 2019 / 11:10 am

Thank you so much for this post. I have always worn modest clothing for several reasons and it is good to know that others do too. In summer it can be especially difficult to find clothing that covers more, so many of the nicest clothes reveal shoulders and arm tops which just make me very uncomfortable.

• hayleyhalluk
      Author
      August 16, 2019 / 1:07 pm

It can be really tricky to find clothes that aren’t super revealing – and don’t have sleeves. I don’t like my arms or knees, and it’s always hard to find things that are cool and flattering; it just goes straight to frumpy!

2. August 18, 2019 / 9:20 am

loved it. and your photos as well.I always wore modest clothes in summer too.
    Greetings

3. August 18, 2019 / 1:47 pm

I’m here for this whole post! Everyone should be free to wear what feels good and makes them feel their best. I, for instance, want to cover my arms and legs as much as I can, but it can be tricky when you’re trying to look cute and not melt in a puddle of sweat at the same time – thanks for the inspiration for the maxi skirt-plain tee look btw. It’s perfection!x

Beatrice | Strawberry Makeup bag

• hayleyhalluk
      Author
      August 19, 2019 / 9:06 am

Ahhh you’re welcome – it’s my signature look 😉

4. August 19, 2019 / 10:53 am

Great post. I have been gravitating towards the midi dress recently. I find as I get older, I want something I can move around in easily without constantly worrying I am going to show off my undies if there is a sudden gust of wind / a wrong manoeuvre!

Sarah xo Oomph London

• hayleyhalluk
      Author
      August 19, 2019 / 1:14 pm

That’s so true! I spent most of my 20s wearing things I *thought* I should be, always uncomfortable or aware that as soon as I moved they rode up / flashed something. Now I’m in my mid 30s I just want to be comfortable and feel good!

5. Danish Pastry
    August 19, 2019 / 11:05 am

We should never feel ashamed at wearing what we feel good in! The mere fact we feel good in it actually helps us look better in it! And you’re so right, that these days anything goes, so there should be variety

6. Annette Lanham
    August 26, 2019 / 11:52 pm

Hurrah for this post! Even though your style isn’t my thing as I never wear dresses, you are still a style inspiration to me. You shouldn’t feel worried or ashamed for not wanting to get your baps out for all and sundry. I never liked doing that myself but now there seems to be pressure for women of all sizes to be ‘sexy’ all the time or what someone thinks is sexy. You dress like a woman with class and I really appreciate that because there aren’t many women like you around. Also you might have on ‘sexy’ lingerie underneath it all but that’s for you and your husband to enjoy not weirdos on the underground!