Is It Worth Spending £50.00 On A Candle, Or Is It A Ridiculous Indulgence?

I’m pretty sure expensive candles are a modern phenomenon. I can’t imagine the Victorian upper class popping over to their local boutique to sniff the different waxes and come away armed with an overpriced jar, just for the pleasure of it; candles, until the invention of electricity, were a basic necessity that probably involved just about as much thought as to which window you should throw your bedpan out of. In the last twenty years though, candles have become a little luxury that can change the ambience of a room completely – lighting it with a soft, warm glow and providing a delicate aroma that tickles the senses.

Since I was a teenager I’ve been totally captivated by candles: I used to cover every surface with cheap tea lights and was even known to ruin my mum’s saucepans attempting to make my own. As an adult I find them a crucial part of every room, using them to not only offer a subtle flicker during a cold winter’s evening, but to offer a scent that either comforts or invigorates the mind. Millions of expensive jars are sold every year, and the UK is apparently the biggest consumer of them in Europe; a Swedish friend of mine couldn’t fathom why I spent so much on a singular candle, because they just don’t use them in the same way as we do.

Is It Worth Spending £50.00 On A Candle, Or Is It A Ridiculous Indulgence?

During a conversation on Twitter a few weeks ago (when I was asking whether people would prefer to spend £50.00 on a designer / well known candle, or the same amount on a relatively unknown smaller British brand) I was surprised at the number of people who thought buying such an item was a purely ridiculous extravagance that they could never ever justify. Sure, it’s a lot of money to spend on something you burn away, but is it any different to buying yourself a nice bag or that eyeshadow palette you’ve had your eye on? Is it really any different from choosing to treat yourself to a daily Starbucks coffee or luxury holidays? Because for me it’s all about personal choice.

There’s always something that’s important to the individual and something that they can absolutely justify spending money on – there’s no difference whether or not that’s coffee, makeup, clothes, holidays or super dooper organic ridiculously expensive steak. As far as I’m concerned, if you earn your money it’s yours to do what you want with according to your own personal set of priorities. I love designer handbags, but my friends and family simply can’t understand why I’d spend £1000 on one; one friend spends all his money on guitar amps and expensive coffee machines, while another prefers to squirrel it away so she can do up her house… We all have our own priorities and those naturally evolve as we age, but it’s nobody else’s right to judge those choices.

Is It Worth Spending £50.00 On A Candle, Or Is It A Ridiculous Indulgence?

For me, lighting an expensive candle is a little treat for the senses; it delivers a premium scent experience, sets the mood and looks beautiful on the shelf, just like an accessory or ornament. I don’t have Jo Malone on every surface (I save that sh*t for best!) but I know when I light the wick it’s for a moment of indulgence not dissimilar to an expensive bath oil or perfume. Yes I love a cheapo number from Primark, a sickly sweet jar from Yankee Candle and a dupe from Aldi, but there’s nothing quite like a beautifully crafted jar that holds an even more beautifully crafted scent.

Chloe from Lady Writes wrote this post which sums up our obsession with luxury candles perfectly, and reiterates my own thoughts about spending a small fortune on something that flickers on a bedside table. But what about you?

Would you and could you ever justify spending £50.00 on a candle?

(If you want some top tips on looking after those expensive candles, read my post here!)

SHOP SOME OF MY FAVE CANDLES

Is It Worth Spending £50.00 On A Candle, Or Is It A Ridiculous Indulgence?

CATCH UP ON MY FREE MONTHLY MAGAZINE HERE

(SIGN UP TO RECEIVE THE NEXT ISSUE DIRECT TO YOUR INBOX!)

Share:

1. February 12, 2019 / 8:29 am

Without question yes! For me it is all about relaxing and creating an atmosphere that I can forget about work, stress, troubles and watching the wick flicker around and make shadows on my wall does just that… all before we get to the fragrance!

• hayleyhalluk
      Author
      February 13, 2019 / 9:25 am

If a little pot of light can have such an impact, who can argue eh?!

2. Megan
    February 12, 2019 / 1:01 pm

Absolutely not for me. You might as well set fire to the money – a bag will last years and can be an investment. Nor is it an experience for me like a massage would be. I’d say make your own using soy wax (healthier than paraffin). Unbelievably easy and cheap and lots of classes on making them and decorating them. You can either make them in jars or buy moulds. The hardest part is getting the wick in the right place and the size but that’s not that hard to learn – it’s just that you don’t see much info on that part of it. You can still use fab oils and scents and have them everywhere.

• hayleyhalluk
      Author
      February 13, 2019 / 9:27 am

That’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it (as you are regarding making your own, which sounds lovely!) but saying ‘you might as well set fire to the money’ is to totally ignore the joy a candle can bring to someone. Would you say the same about an expensive bottle of wine, or a Michelin star meal? It’s about choice and priorities, and what one person loves may not be understandable to another.

3. Kristan
    February 12, 2019 / 1:21 pm

I vote with a ridiculous indulgence however you may think what I chose to spend my money on is too. Travelling through India and Sri Lanka has certainly made me realise how lucky I am in my life and how fortunate we are in England x

• hayleyhalluk
      Author
      February 13, 2019 / 9:57 am

We are very fortunate. I would love to visit India.

• Kristan
        February 13, 2019 / 11:41 am

It was amazing, I only saw a fraction (including the Taj Mahal) but loved it. Sri Lanka is also great x

4. Kay
    February 12, 2019 / 3:34 pm

I absolutely love candles and need them everywhere too. However, £50 is well above my limit for a single candle due to tight financial restraints. Saying that, if I had plenty of money I would happily splash out for this indulgence. x

• hayleyhalluk
      Author
      February 13, 2019 / 9:58 am

I think that’s the thing isn’t it – it’s about your budget and your priority, and personal choice. When I was younger I would never have spent £50 on a candle in a million years, but I’d happily spend £50 on a night out. Now it’s the other way around!

5. Danish Pastry
    February 12, 2019 / 6:05 pm

No way!
    That being said you’re so right about spending your hard earned cash on what makes you happy! Although I tend to make a distinction between things that are transient and those that I own for a long time to come! So candles fall into the first category, as does tea, scones and tiny delicious cakes that my best mate and I treat ourselves to every time we’re in Aarhus (I’m full up enough not to want an evening meal, so not so expensive then!?!). Tea aside I tend to spend more on the more permanent items I buy.

• hayleyhalluk
      Author
      February 13, 2019 / 9:59 am

That makes total sense, and in a lot of ways I’m the same – stingy on wine and food and things that don’t hang about. For me though, a candle can last for a year if I’m careful!

6. February 13, 2019 / 8:58 am

I agree with everything you said! It’s not just about the candle but the whole experience. I tend to invest my money on something that lasts more than a candle – as in a part of my mind it forever feels like I’m burning money – but every once in a while I like to threat myself and my friends for special occasions and birthdays. A beautiful candle never fails to bring me joy. x

Beatrice | Strawberry Makeup bag

7. February 13, 2019 / 10:45 am

You are right that we can’t criticise people for how they spend there money but to me it seems like a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a candle. I have always had trouble spending money on myself as I don’t think I deserve extravagant things but at the end of the day it’s none of our business what others do.

8. February 13, 2019 / 11:26 am

This is why I love to get a scented candle as a gift, it’s so luxurious. That said, I tend to buy premium ones from Homesense or TK Maxx because you can pick them up for more high street prices. The only time I spent £50 on a candle for myself was for my 50th birthday – no regrets there at all!

9. February 14, 2019 / 11:30 am

To me it is a lovely treat. I don’t need expensive candles littered in every nook and corner of my flat but I often treat myselt to one or two or three (wink) a year especially when brands come out with collectibles range (for V-day, Christmas).