I Tried An Ayurvedic Fertility & Wellbeing Banana Treatment: Here’s What Happened

As I stood outside a random house on a dark Kensington street in silence, envelope full of money in my hand, I wondered what on earth I was doing. The twenty or so other women stood with me looked equally as nervous, confused and hopeful that this wasn’t some kind of big con that looked rather like a drug deal to anyone walking past. Within a few minutes a barefoot man stepped outside to check my name off a list, take my envelope and whisper that the Banana Treatment would begin shortly; I wrapped myself up in my scarf against the cold, scrolled through Twitter and waited to be called into line, secretly giggling to myself that what started as a genuine treatment option had suddenly become all kinds of peculiar. Intrigued? Let’s rewind…

I Tried An Ayurvedic Fertility & Wellbeing Banana Treatment: Here's What HappenedI Tried An Ayurvedic Fertility & Wellbeing Banana Treatment: Here's What Happened

Since coming off the pill at the beginning of the year, my periods have been all kinds of wack. I’ve historically been quite fortunate with them, knowing that every month would bring with it a 28 day cycle and a three day period that was totally manageable and very predictable; but after coming off the mini pill in January (a temporary solution prescribed by my doctor who told me my BMI was too high for the full pill – side note, so would yours love if you were carrying two breasts that weighed the same amount as two extra heads!) my body was thrown into a weird kind of chaos. Although my periods started again within the first month, they reduced to only around half a day in length and my cycle fluctuated from 26-30 days.

I was patient, but I wasn’t really making any progress; my periods didn’t seem to be getting back to normal, even after trying herbal treatments, cutting out soya and undertaking acupuncture. I progressed from half a day of bleeding to only a day or so after nine months, which started to make me really anxious – especially as we want to start a family some time soon. Visiting my doctor for advice wasn’t really an option, mainly because they’re short of time and sympathy for anyone who appears over a size twelve, but after talking to a friend who’d tried and recommended an Ayurvedic fertility, hormonal and wellbeing Banana Treatment I was intrigued enough to try something different.

Hosted by the London Meditation Centre and conducted by the Rajus, an Indian family who fly over once a year, the Banana Treatment is said to “restore the body’s natural inner intelligence and health at the deepest level.” The Rajus are said to be “the only family in the world who are able to pass down this ancient wisdom,” creating a ‘medicine’ personalised for each woman and her health needs. The treatment is said to amplify the purifying action of menstruation, balance hormones and the reproductive system, enhance fertility by clearing blockages between the brain and the uterus, fortify the immune system and rejuvenate the whole physiology of the body. But what exactly is it?

Ayurvedic medicine is one of the world’s oldest holistic healing systems, developed more than 3000 years ago in India; it’s based on the belief that health and wellness depend on a delicate balance between the mind, body and spirit. The Banana Treatment encapsulates that and provides a three day ritual to help restore balance in those that are struggling with fertility, hormones and general wellbeing. You have to apply for the treatment by providing information on your personal circumstances, everything about your cycle and even when and where you were born – if you’re accepted, you’re given an address to turn up to for three days in a row to receive the ‘medicine’.

Which takes us back to the beginning of my story… The Banana Treatment was hosted at an address in Kensington, where I was told to arrive at 7pm Wednesday to Friday. On the first day you bring an envelope containing £65.00 (to contribute to the Raju’s travel costs) and on the second and third day the envelope must contain an offering of 11p. Once you’re called up in order (not alphabetical, but one can only assume it’s based on some kind of birth chart or energy ranking!) you’re asked to take off your shoes and individually invited to climb the stairs to greet Mrs Raju in silence.

Rather uniquely, not only do you have to fast from food and drink for three hours prior and one hour after, but you’re not permitted to speak for an hour either side of the treatment either – because apparently the vibrations of the voice impact the body’s energy! To receive the Banana Treatment you must face East, take a moment to ‘thank your ancestors’, pick up the banana (served on a little bamboo tray) in your left hand and lift the small piece of banana covered in herbs to your mouth with the thumb and third finger of your right hand. The banana must be swallowed whole, not chewed, you thank Mrs Raju with a prayer motion and you’re sent on your way.

I’m a very open minded person and I believe in the power herbs and alternative medicine (I’ve seen great results from acupuncture, I’m super into crystals and I love the idea that supplements can help boost our bodies without resorting to traditional medicine) so I was absolutely willing to give this a go. Although I didn’t buy into the whole silence thing, facing East or the very specific way to eat a small piece of banana covered in herbs, I do completely understand how these ancient rituals and concoctions can continue to offer benefits within our modern world. Standing in a line with twenty plus women looking for a fresh approach to our issues, it seems that often the ancient rituals hold the answers to modern problems.

They recommend you stick to a diet of milky warm rice for the duration of the treatment, but seeing as I can’t drink milk and I didn’t much fancy living off the most boring food known to man, I just tried to eat cleaner and stay clear of alcohol and too much sugar. Over the course of the three days I did feel utterly exhausted, but it’s hard to know whether this was the result of a busy few weeks or the banana doing its thing; they suggest you avoid any strenuous activity, take the time to rest and generally look after your body and mind during this period – which is just good practice really. But after three nights of hanging around in the cold waiting to eat a bit of fruit, I was glad to be done by the end.

So four weeks later, what difference has it made? Honestly, for the first time this year the period that followed the Banana Treatment was absolutely back to ‘normal’. It returned to its usual duration, usual flow and usual cramping sensations – which although aren’t exactly pleasant, are exactly what I wanted to happen. I’ve made no other changes to my lifestyle, but my periods (from the one I’ve had post treatment!) seem to be back to their usual routine and are as ‘healthy’ as can be anticipated. Which is just astonishing. It may have made me feel like a wally at the time, but I’m so glad I stood in silence on that cold West London street.

I had low expectations (and an open mind) going into this, but I thought I’d give it a go as someone with nothing to lose; it could be a welcome coincidence, but there could also be something in this banana malarkey… Only time will tell.

Find out more about the London Meditation Centre and discover more from Dr Raju and her outlook on the Banana Treatment.

I organised the treatment myself and attended as a member of the public.

SHOP THE LOOK

Marks & Spencer Leopard Print Skirt | £39.50 | LINK
River Island Black Jumper| £35.00| SIMILAR HERE
ASOS Black Velvet Boots | £14.00 | SIMILAR HERE
Mulberry Lily Medium Bag | £995.00 | LINK
Quay Sunglasses | £40.00 | SIMILAR HERE

1. Danish Pastry
    November 16, 2018 / 6:19 am

I’m so happy this worked for you!
    Being a health care professional I am always sceptical of anything not backed up with the evidence of double blind clinical trials – that being said all treatments proven to work have to start off somewhere! I am also aware of the power of positive thinking, and am convinced that even though I don’t subscribe to treatments such as accupunture, it may work on people who believe in it 100%. Positive thinking is a power to be recognised. This treatment seems harmless enough, and the price was relatively low, and the outcome was what you wanted, so all is well!

• hayleyhalluk
      Author
      November 16, 2018 / 9:12 am

There’s absolutely more to it than positive thinking – acupuncture is a huge industry, and even my family doctor conducts it on his patients for various ailments. I started with it because I had a damaged shoulder and nothing worked: not physio, PT, rest, medicine. I tried it as a last resort and instantly it started to work; within a month or so I’d gone from not even being able to pick up my handbag to moving normally again, and I’m not one to ever just believe and hope! Traditional western medicine can only go so far and there’s so much we’re yet to fully understand. The same applies to alternative treatments and herbs etc – after all, tree bark is used in pain killers! We got through thousands of years without commercialized medicine and treatments, but we can be so quick to dismiss their power and effectiveness if we don’t understand them. And you’re right – everything has to start somewhere!

• Danish Pastry
        November 16, 2018 / 9:27 am

I agree that a lot of medicines started out as herbal remedies, but for every one that works, there are others that didn’t (lungwort and leverwort to name but two), the science bit isolated the parts of the plant that work, check and double check that they work. Just think of how only a few hundred years ago treatment often consisted of blood letting and purging, likely to make a patient weaker rather than stronger.
        As for acupuncture I am fully aware that it works for a lot of people, and I am also aware that my own doubts are likely to make it less effective for me. And while there is evidence to prove that in some cases it’s better than placebo effect, there is as yet no evidence that it is effective for a lot of chronic conditions.
        I’m not saying we should dismiss alternative treatments, just that we find out how and why they work so we can sort the wheat from the chaff. Understanding and knowledge is key!

2. November 18, 2018 / 3:37 pm

I am open minded too when it comes to these treatments and just because there is no science to back it up, doesnt mean it should not be explored. Likewise, because it doesnt work for some, doesnt mean it won’t for others and that goes for treatments backed up with science, so I am glad you did it and have seen positive results x

• hayleyhalluk
      Author
      November 19, 2018 / 9:24 am

Thanks Rachel. And you’re right – science is based upon having an open mind and exploring new ideas, so there’s absolutely no reason why a brand new discovery can’t lead to a whole new treatment being formulated!

3. Anna Berry
    November 21, 2018 / 9:19 am

I don’t do or know about the banana treatment specifically but I definitely believe you Hayley. I’m a herbalist (a dying skill many ‘health professionals’ call quackery and placebo) and I have personally been responsible ‘through the herbs’ for 23 successful pregnancies (out of 38 treatments) in women over 40 who were deemed infertile, failed IVF and tired of their doctors treating them as bank machines. Mind you, I did this after hours from my ‘regular’ corporate job and still, I’m sure my kitchen remedies have a much higher success rate than the ‘professionals’ who are treating ‘patients’ from their certified ‘clinics’. There’s power in what is wrongly referred to as ‘alternative medicine’ and it has nothing to do with ‘positive thinking’.

• Danish Pastry
      November 21, 2018 / 3:29 pm

As a “health professional” I know that there is a place for “alternative” treatment, it has been also proved that positive thinking is important and that placebo effects exist in many drug treatments (and may in fact improve the effectiveness). In fact I use positive thinking in my work to improve cooparability and quality of the examinations I perform.
      As far as fertility goes there is increasing amounts of research that prove that counselling increases the success rates, and in a significant proportion render IVF and other treatments unnecessary.
      I don’t deny that herbalists can make a positive contribution, and as long as there is a professional level of knowledge (here I’m thinking of side effects and contraindications), then I generally don’t have a problem with it. I can only wonder at the reluctance of the “alternative therapy” community generally to want research, so that their treatments can be made more effective and better tailored to the individual. And not least weed out the small proportion who are not acting with the patient’s best interests at heart.

• hayleyhalluk
        Author
        November 21, 2018 / 5:28 pm

I am loving the debate and issues that are being raised here from both perspectives! Thank you for leaving your thoughts and comments.

4. November 24, 2018 / 2:44 pm

I’m so thrilled this worked for you Hayley! You must feel so relieved to have everything back to normal. Would you say this treatment is exclusively for women with fertility concerns or is it appropriate for anyone with hormonal concerns in general?

• hayleyhalluk
      Author
      November 26, 2018 / 8:47 am

It’s suited to anyone with hormone issues that link to the reproductive system – so anyone with PCOS, irregular periods, heavy periods, endometriosis… And general wellbeing too. There were a real mix of women there, so I think it’s got cross appeal.

5. December 5, 2018 / 8:23 pm

I am thrilled that you immediately saw some positive results. I too believe in alternative remedies and a holistic approach to looking after the body and mind, instead of first pumping it full of “Conventional Medicine” ( which I also have to do) As I always say to anyone that doesn’t have an open mind or doubts such practices…Seek first to understand….nothing can be lost in trying and perhaps everything can be gained in the outcome. Yay to normal flow and cramping stomach aches, onwards and upwards love xx