Five Easy Ways To Help & Support Your Fave Bloggers In 2018

In the next couple of months I’ll be celebrating eight whole years since I first pressed published on a blog post. Back in 2010 blogging wasn’t as complex as it is now, nor was it so commercial or competitive, and we all just bumbled along making it up as we went. Readers were free to comment and free to recommend their fave blogs to friends, so growth was relatively easy; you need employ only a few minor tactics to become successful on social media, and because there were only a handful of sites it was easier to gain the attention of brands. Skip forward nearly a decade and the bloggersphere has evolved into a whole new kettle of fish; with the positives definitely come with the negatives, but without a doubt we’re in a stronger place than where we started and a whole generation of men and women are creating their own unique career paths by doing something they love. As we step into 2018 it’s more important than ever to support your favourite sites, and there are some really simple ways to ensure that happens. Here are just a few…

COMMENT ON THEIR POSTS
There’s no denying we all have less time to spend reading content, and the time we do have is a quick few minutes while in the coffee queue at Starbucks or in front of the telly while the ad breaks are on. We’re still digesting a tonne of stuff, but we’re so quickly on to the next that we forget to leave behind a comment letting the creator know our thoughts or simply that we enjoyed it. Those little comments can mean such a lot and really keep a blogger going, especially when they spend most of their time alone and wondering if anyone is really reading. Make an extra effort this year to leave behind a little note or thought on your favourite pieces or newly discovered blogs; it’s something I’m making an extra effort to do too.

LIKE THEIR INSTAGRAM PICS
It’s the bane of any blogger’s life right now. We collectively have a love-hate relationship with Instagram and their blooming annoying algorithm that seems to have messed it up for the lot of us. Fewer and fewer people are seeing content, and those that do are simply scrolling rather than taking the time to like or comment on posts that stand out; the result is that Instagram assumes our content isn’t interesting, reducing the number of people that see our future pictures. It’s a vicious and never ending circle of doom which makes most of us feel like jacking it all in… But a little like here and there could make all the difference. Make an effort to regularly visit the profile of your favourite accounts and like/comment on their pics, even if they’re a few weeks old; not only will it give them a boost professionally, but Instagram will start showing you their previously lost images again.

SUPPORT THEIR COLLABORATIONS
It will never fail to amaze me how so many creatives have managed to turn a passion into a career. I’m hugely proud of what I’ve achieved over these last eight years, but also hugely in awe of the industry as a whole; blogger books, makeup ranges, advertising campaigns, endorsements and collaborations in every possible form have really helped to put blogging on the map. We produce so much content for free and for the passion of it, that it’s only fair that collaborations are celebrated and supported – rather than being ignored or deemed ‘just an ad’. In 2018 I really hope we can go that extra mile to support collaborative content and recognise the hard work that goes into curating an audience that brands in turn want to talk to; make an extra effort to like, comment, share and click on sponsored features and your fave bloggers will be able to continue bringing you amazing free content.

CLICK THEIR AFFILIATE LINKS
Love that dress they’re wearing? Can’t stop thinking about that lipstick? Fancy picking up a personalised phone case yourself? If you’re going to do it anyway, please consider clicking on your fave bloggers affiliate links and giving them a little kickback for the effort of them bringing it to your attention in the first place. It costs you nothing, but every little helps to support the maintenance costs associated with running a blog (hosting fees, subscription services, design resource, photography equipment) and keeps the content coming. Most of the time it will be a matter of pence, but if it’s no skin off your nose why not? Quite often if I know I want something online, I go out of my way to find a blogger that’s shared an affiliate link (because there’s always one somewhere!)

SHARE THEIR CONTENT
There’s nothing I love more than seeing people share my content online. Knowing that they enjoyed my storytelling or thoughts so much they’ve shared it on their own channels, fills me with drive to keep producing similar content. Whether it’s a quick tweet, a retweet of something you’ve discovered, a snap on Insta Stories or a link within your own piece of writing, it will really help to spread the word to new potential readers and make them feel supported too. Let ‘sharing’ be the word of 2018!

I’m definitely going to make an extra effort to celebrate and help my fave sites this year and beyond, and hope that you will too. Do you have any other simple and effective ways of showing bloggers your support?

SIGN UP TO MY MONTHLY NEWSLETTER HEREEXCLUSIVE NEWS, GIVEAWAYS & INFO ON WHAT YOU’VE MISSED!

1. Liza Prideaux
    January 5, 2018 / 11:55 am

Great post, I always do my best to support my fellow bloggers and vloggers especially when it's sponsored content. I often try to RT, like posts and share them too. So important x

2. Anika May
    January 5, 2018 / 1:00 pm

Love the positivity in this post! I'm definitely making an effort to comment and like more Instagram pics because it's a difficult place for smaller bloggers (like me) to grow! Browsing hashtags is a really easy way to support bloggers :)Anika | anikamay.co.uk

• Hayley Hall
      January 8, 2018 / 10:41 am

It's an impossible place for anyone to grow! My insta engagement is much higher but I'm losing followers every day, so you take the wins with the losses 😉 But yes to supporting people in little ways!

3. lizziep
    January 5, 2018 / 4:09 pm

I'll try to do more now by writing this comment! I have to say though, sometimes it feels as though you are one of so many comments/likes etc that one more won't matter to the blogger. I'll try harder though!

• Hayley Hall
      January 8, 2018 / 10:51 am

It really does matter to the blogger, I promise – and thank you!

4. last year's girl
    January 5, 2018 / 4:29 pm

Commenting on my favourite blogs has always been a big thing for me: I've been blogging for HUNDREDS OF YEARS and it just comes naturally, you know? And I like to think my spendy habits have benefited my favourite bloggers whose styles I take inspiration from – yourself includes (I HOPE they were affiliate links, anyway, as you deserve something for bringing certain gorgeous items to my attention!).The quickest and easiest additional thing I started doing last year was to click through to my favourites' Instagram pages whenever I'm reading or commenting on a post and dropping a heart on a couple of photos. If you're logged in on your browser too, it takes barely any additional effort.Happy New Year, Mrs Hall!Lis / last year's girl x

• Hayley Hall
      January 8, 2018 / 10:51 am

That's a really great idea! And thank you Lis 🙂 x

5. Helen
    January 5, 2018 / 5:56 pm

Lovely post – these things really do make a difference and keep you going.

6. Lucy Cole
    January 5, 2018 / 7:33 pm

Love this post so much! I really want to focus on sharing the blogger love this year so definitely going to try my best to do all of these. xxLucy | http://www.lucy-cole.co.uk

7. Erin Russell
    January 5, 2018 / 9:08 pm

YES YES YES! I love this! One of my goals for 2018 is to retweet more, I suck at it, but I am all for commenting all the time, I do it every time I read a post, and I read a lot! Loved this 🙂 Erin || MakeErinOver

• Hayley Hall
      January 11, 2018 / 9:49 am

Thanks Erin! All the little things we can do to make a difference build up and help to boost a blogger when they need it most.

8. Danielle Alexa
    January 6, 2018 / 8:15 pm

This is such a lovely and positive post to start the year with. I feel like lots more people need to practice some of these things a little more so we can all support each other!Danielle xxhttp://www.fashionbeautyblog.co.uk/

9. Honeypot Blogs
    January 7, 2018 / 3:30 pm

I always support my favourite bloggers even if it is as small as an Instagram like because the only way I can continue to see their content is if I engage with it more!xxHoneypot Blogs

10. Danish Pastry
    January 7, 2018 / 5:00 pm

Thanks for sharing this. It's great to know how I can help!I enjoy the free content of my favourite bloggers, and want to do what I can to support them, so that they can keep it coming. I hate the idea that some people are envious, petty minded or just plain nasty when they encourage others not to click on a link when they want to buy something they've seen on a blog. If a blogger has done the work to produce content that makes me want to invest some of my hard earned cash in a particular product, why wouldn't I want them to earn a living at it. We buy magasines all the time, and are paying for that content, so what's the problem!

• Hayley Hall
      January 8, 2018 / 10:53 am

A great outlook and attitude – and exactly the point I was trying to get across! Thanks for your support 🙂

11. Lara Joanna Jarvis
    January 8, 2018 / 10:13 pm

I really love these ideas,off to share it on Twitter! X

12. Heathers-World
    January 9, 2018 / 11:19 am

I love how positive this post it. I know I sucked at doing these things last year so I am defiantly going to be making a conscious effort to do these things more in 2018. I know it defiantly makes a difference to me if other bloggers do these things for me so I am going to be doing the same for them. With the way the blogging community is going we can all do more to support each other and little things do make a difference. x Heather https://my-world-heather.blogspot.co.uk

• Hayley Hall
      January 11, 2018 / 9:50 am

Absolutely Heather – it's easy to get swept up in your own thing, but if we all continue to support each other it's good for everyone!

13. Catherine Summers
    January 10, 2018 / 10:54 pm

Hayley what a fabulous post – all are so true!! I've been such a bad blogger over the past year and hardly had any time for commenting or replying to my blog post comments… That's something I'm in the process of changing! And yes I agree that supporting bloggers' collabs is important – it's easy to see when one isn't genuine or it's just regurgitated content, so when a blogger has produced something really fantastic with a brand then YES I hope readers will support them.Just to let you know I have a very similar-ish post in my drafts that I've had for ages, in case you see it at some point this year and think that the subject sounds familiar… I have it mostly written up, honestly – no plagiarism involved!!!!Catherine xhttps://notdressedaslamb.com

• Hayley Hall
      January 11, 2018 / 9:52 am

Haha no probs at all 😉 I think a lot of the time we're all thinking the same things around the same time, and it's amazing how many similar posts coincidentally land within a small time frame! And yes to supporting great collabs; you can always tell when a lot of work and effort has been injected to make it interesting and relevant. x

14. Girl In Gamba
    January 11, 2018 / 1:54 am

Love love love this post! I always try my best to support other bloggers. If there's a post that I like, I will at least like it or share it. And if I have the time and/or if it really hits home with me, I definitely try to comment! I think it's so important to support other bloggers, especially smaller ones. As a blogger, I know how much it means to someone to receive a like, a share, or a comment on something.GG | http://www.girlingamba.com

15. Luke Heywood
    January 13, 2018 / 2:52 pm

Such a positive post towards other bloggers.I my self have taken upon this approach towards other bloggers now too.Other small bloggers don't get enough credit for what they do and sometimes they are the most interesting. Hello from a new follower ♥https://www.lukeheywoodstyle.co.uk

16. Felicia