Alexander McQueen Unveils Their New Fragrance (And It’s £285 For The Pleasure!)

Designer fragrances are now so common that it’s easy to forget that there are still brands yet to dabble their feet in the waters of scent. With the likes of Stella McCartney, Michael Kors and Burberry already translating their clothing collections into perfume so perfectly, I just made the assumption that there was a McQueen incarnation in existence. Twelve years after Lee McQueen debuted his menswear collection on the catwalk, those that have taken over the reins of his brand have been able to finally interpret the elements of its very core and create a scent that perfectly encapsulates them. The moody and exquisitely crafted bottle hides a rich, sensual and timeless fragrance that will definitely appeal to lovers of the brand and fragrance connoisseurs alike. They say: McQueen Parfum is for the woman who blooms in the dark. Inspired by classic perfumes with strong floral signatures, the fragrance takes a rich, vintage spirit and gives it a stunningly modern architecture. Inspired by the craftsmanship of haute perfumeries, McQueen has created a unique scent made from the precious essence of three night-blooming flowers.”

Created using Sambac Jasmine (‘the essence of power and romance’,)
Tuberose (‘the warm, intoxicating heart of seduction’) and Ylang Ylang
(‘the mysterious scent of a perfect morning’,) alongside black pepper,
pink pepper and clove, the result is a deeply rich and musky scent.
Together these three flowers open under the moon to exude a sweet and
complex aroma that exists only until the morning; this makes them all
the more rare and intriguing, which is for me what the McQueen brand is
all about. Have you ever heard of any other brand using only flowers that can be harvested under the moon? It’s a little hocus pocus, but I just love it. Although upon first sniff I didn’t think the scent was
particularly revolutionary (there are a number of fragrances that smell
very similar,) I can appreciate it from a brand and longevity point of
view: there’s very little point in investing time and money into an
‘on-trend’ scent that needs to be re-formulated a couple of years later.
This is classic not only in its design, but in the notes and emotions
it evokes.

If the story of the night blooming flowers
didn’t tickle your fancy, then the craftsmanship of the bottle is surely
enough to generate a little lust. A timeless shape, tactile and
beautiful in both the hand and upon a dressing table, gold feathers crown the bottle to ‘reflect the
bespoke craftsmanship that is pure McQueen.’ It’s beautifully gothic, with just a subtle modern twist. It feels heavy and like a real piece of art that anybody would cherish – even if the juice inside isn’t necessarily your thing. Like everything McQueen, the result is something that’s incredibly couture and completely pushes the boundaries of our expectation: which is why this little bottle is an incredible £285.00 and you can only pick it up from Harrods. McQueen have definitely kept the brand’s ethos at the heart of this scent, rather than creating something accessible to all via our local Boots; I admire them for that, in a world where the bottom line sometimes drives commercial decisions more than the creative director’s vision. Although this won’t be for everyone’s tastes (or budget!) it’s well worth testing the scent the next time you pop into Harrods – even just to be temporarily transported into the unique gothic world of McQueen.

The Alexander Mcqueen fragrance is available exclusively from Harrods, priced £285.00 for a 50ml bottle.

JOIN THE CONVERSATION ON TWITTER, INSTAGRAM & FACEBOOK

1. Tess
    March 15, 2016 / 11:20 am

It's so pretty, but wow that's expensive for a perfume. Definitely something made more for the McQueen enthusiasts than your everyday girl. Tess xthelyricstolife.com

2. jessica rose
    March 15, 2016 / 11:26 am

Wow….looks and smells gorgeous….although I think I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that someone buys this for me! http://vodkaandarose.blogspot.co.uk

March 15, 2016 / 11:45 am

looks gorgeous, sounds like its right up my alley too bad the price definitely isnt :pPam xo/ Pam Scalfi♥

4. Stephanie Hartley
    March 15, 2016 / 11:50 am

I love how true they've kept to the brand's ethos with this – the flowers being harvested only by moonlight is incredible, and I agree – the bottle does look like something you could keep and treasure!Steph – http://nourishmeclean.blogspot.com

5. Cate EC
    March 15, 2016 / 2:00 pm

WOW that's a lot! But it does sound gorgeous nonetheless. xx Cate Cruse – The most perfect of candles!

March 16, 2016 / 1:55 pm

I dont think many could Lauren! Definitely one for the rich and famous 🙂

6. Laura Gale
    March 15, 2016 / 9:25 pm

I can't help but wonder how successful this fragrance will be with such a hefty price tag. If the bottle could be reused for another purpose or was more like an ornament, I guess that would be the silver lining. It is definitely beautiful, but it does look like a perfume bottle!Laura | Lala London: Beauty & Lifestyle

March 16, 2016 / 1:56 pm

I guess they're not going for mass – but trying to extend the accessory brand into the perfume field? And at that price they don't need to sell a huge number to make money. It makes sense from a branding pov, but the price point is a bit gutting for those who just would love to spritz it!

7. Ana @champagnegirlsabouttown
    March 16, 2016 / 8:40 am

I thought my Byredo perfumes are expensive and £120 but this is another level. I will definitely try it on in Harrods but I doubt I could justify to myself spending that much on a perfume.Anawww.champagnegirlsabouttown.co.uk

8. Anna
    March 17, 2016 / 7:27 am

It's actually not their debut fragrance. Kingdom launched back in 2003 and it was way more affordable. I did try out,but was to heavy for my style and skin.

March 17, 2016 / 8:41 pm

You're right Anna – but it's been so long I think everyone has forgotten (including me!) But this is the debut from the brand with Sarah Burton at the helm, who has created this scent.

9. louise
    March 26, 2016 / 8:25 pm

Next time I go into Harrods I will definitely be smelling it but it is just far too expensive to even consider purchasing a bottle!Louise | helloteddy.co.uk

April 16, 2016 / 8:41 am

Guys just wanted to clarify that this is pure parfum concentration hence the hefty price tag. Guerlain 30ml pure parfum retails around £240 for 30ml so the price is quite reasonable in comparison. Apparently there's an edp version of this which will be released later this year in a white bottle which will have a much lower price tag.