The One I Didn’t Expect To Love: Paco Rabanne Olympéa Fragrance

If you said the name ‘Paco Rabanne’ to me a week ago, it would have aroused memories of sweaty 90’s nightclubs and men adorned with FCUK t-shirts. It’s not a brand I really relate to or one I seek out, but this little bottle of Greek-inspired wonder has just knocked me off my chair and made me question it all. Twenty years ago Paco Rabanne was the height of fashion, but like Burberry check and the Daniella Westbrook episode, over-saturatuon turned its sparkle into something altogether more cringey. However, their new Olympéa is elegant enough to adorn any dressing table – while the scent itself is warm, sultry, sexy and fresh.

Olympéa has been designed for ‘a modern-day Cleopatra, the woman of all
victories.’ It certainly evokes the feeling of regality and magnetism,
thanks to the opulent bottle that’s adorned with metallic nods to the
Greek gods. (Yes, I know Cleopatra was Egyptian – I don’t write the
press releases!) Featuring notes of salty vanilla, green mandarin, cashmere wood,
ginger lily and hydroponic jasmine, it’s sensual and sexy without being
overbearing; it’s fresh and light without being filled with too many
citrus or floral notes. Many of these European fashion designer scents are too heavy and too musky for me, but this is right on the cusp: it’s exotic enoguh to wear in the evening, but certainly not to much to spritz on when you want to make an impression during the day. Who would have known that Paco Rabanne’s Olympéa was the fragrance to change my mind…

The Paco Rabanne Olympea fragrance is available now The Perfume Shop and in all good perfume retailers, priced £40.00 for 30ml. (Bottle pictured is 30ml)

July 23, 2015 / 12:27 pm

this fragrance sounds amazing – you n(and their PR team it seems) nmay be forgiven – the Greek civilisation overlapped with Cleopatra and her reign of Ancient Egypt! 😉 The bottle is beautiful, I'd love to just have it, let alone wear the perfume haha!

• Polymnia S
      July 27, 2015 / 2:25 am

I was thinking exactly the same thing what does Olympea (Olympia) have to do with Cleopatra and Egypt?

• Evelyn
      July 27, 2015 / 1:36 pm

They're just mixing up mainland Greeks with Greeks of the diaspora (Cleopatra being Greek as a descendant of one of Alexander the Great's generals, Ptolemy). It's a pretty bottle at least.

July 29, 2015 / 7:57 am

I love this comment feed – I love learning something ; ) I was totally confused about the link, but I guess it's a PR story more than anything.

2. Courtney Williamson
    July 23, 2015 / 2:08 pm

The bottle is so beautiful! I like Paco Rabanne's lady million so I could easily sway to like one of their other perfumes too, I'll have to give them a sniff.–prettymadthings.blogspot.co.uk // x

July 29, 2015 / 7:58 am

I think if you love Lady Million you'll love this – it's very rich and luxurious. Worth a sniff!

July 23, 2015 / 3:11 pm

sounds like a great perfume, I like it not too musky or heavy :)Pam xo/ Pam Scalfi♥

July 29, 2015 / 7:59 am

I love it just for that – looks great on my dressing table!

4. beautyqueenuk
    July 25, 2015 / 5:48 pm

I adore the scent of this and cannot wait to get my hands on a bottle x

5. chloe logan
    July 27, 2015 / 10:48 am

I love lady million – but interested to see what this ones like! Gorgeous bottle.Chloe // chloexlogan.blogspot.co.uk x

6. Heidi Barnett
    August 2, 2015 / 2:20 pm

Hi Hayley, I too am no fan of 'too heavy' a scent. I ve been eyeing this up the last week so you've convinced me to try. Sophisticated & pretty bottle plus, Jasmine, vanilla & a citrus is usually beautiful if mixed in the right blend. Thanks xHeidiwww.chronicbeauty.uk