Festival season is well and truly upon us, but with the onslaught of wellies and boho fringing comes the need to pack a beauty kit that will see you through the weekend and beyond. We all know about wet wipes and dry shampoo, but the industry has moved on in the last ten years and now provides a huge array of handy products that are perfect for a long weekend in the sun. From preening your hairy bits, to protecting yourself from the sun and adding a golden glow to cheekbones, I’ve handpicked fifteen of my must-haves to see you through a weekend of camping – or just a little trip abroad when you’re limited to hand luggage and hope!
1. Venus ‘Snap’ Embrace Razor (£4.99)
Nobody wants hairy pits, even if they are slumming it in a field and drinking Strongbow for breakfast. This cute little razor is a world’s first – it’s apparently the only portable razor that comes with its own little protective case. Yes it’s gimmicky, but it’s also blooming genius; no compromise on quality or size of the razor head, just a tiny hand and confidence that you won’t slice off a finger when you’re looking for it in your rucksack.
2. Eminence Tea Tree & Mint Hand Sanitizer (£7.00)
Enriched with organic chamomile, aloe vera and tea tree oil, this non-drying, chemical-free alternative to traditional harsh sanitizers is like a breath of fresh air. You can’t step foot in a festival field without a supply of anti-bac lotion, but after a few days of the harsh chemical formula your hands are in need of a huge moisture injection. This natural, gentle and effective formula is the best way to look after your hands – and you heath.
3. Soltan Aftersun With Tan Prolonger (£4.00) Aftersun is massively underrated and often forgotten about, but if you forget to re-apply it could be a lifesaver after a long day in the sun. This gentle cooling formula also helps your tan to last as long as possible, thanks to the inclusion of shea butter to hydrate and care for skin.
4. Pump It Up Dry Body Wash (£3.00)Available in a multitude of scents, including this uplifting tangy orange flavour, these little bottles are so much better than a baby-wipe-shower of a morning. Just foam it up and rub over skin to eliminate odour and bacteria that forms throughout the day; it dries really quickly without leaving any residue, simultaneously hydrating your skin. Just keep it away from your delicate bits or feel the burn!
5. L’Oreal Elnett Hairspray (£2.60)
Your hair may look fabulous on day one, but mix in a couple of rough nights sleep and a few pints of beer thrown in your direction and you’ll be in desperate need of a blow-dry. Elnett has been loved by women for generations because of its firm hold – while being easy to brush away without washing. It’s a great product to take to change-up your style and keep you looking fab until you rediscover the shower.
6. Simple Micellar Wipes (£3.99)
I’m not a fan of wipes at all (generally speaking they remove very little other than surface residue,) but when you’re in a field a face wipe is better than nothing at all. More saturated than most other wipes I’ve tried, these use micellar technology to lift away dirt, grease and grime and actually do not a bad job at all. Just try and take a mini bottle of toner with you to use before bed too!
7. Tigi BeachBound SPF Protection Spray (£15.00)
It’s not just your body that needs protection from the sun – your hair needs a little support too. Tigi’s limited edition summer collection includes this handy spray which can be spritzed over the surface of coloured hair to prevent fade; it also helps to prevent hair from drying and becoming brittle – which is never a good look.
8. Little Odine Nail Varnish (£9.20) This completely natural, odourless and peelable polish is a true innovation that beauty enthusiasts have been waiting years for. Available in a multitude of colours, for me the genius is the fact you can peel this off without damaging your nails and re-apply in a jiffy. You don’t want to take a whole manicure kit to Bestival, so a peelable polish is the next best thing – no chips in sight!
9. No7 Shimmering Lip & Eye Screen SPF (£7.50)
You want to pack as many multi-functional products as possible when taking a trip away – and this offers up a lip balm, eye colour and SPF in one. The shimmering non-greasy formula is fab for adding a touch of sparkle alone or over colour, but it also helps protect your delicate bits from the warm summer sun.
10. FemFresh Wipes (£1.59)
These don’t really need an introduction, but yey for the limited edition packaging that makes them even more festival appropriate. The handy pocket size also saves room for all your other bit and bobs too.
11. Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream SPF30 Stick (£12.75)
What can I say, protecting yourself from the damaging effects of the sun is super important! This handy portable stick can be applied to the nose (where I often get burned the most,) decollatage and even feet – it’s a great tool for popping in your bag and topping up areas that start to catch the sun throughout afternoon. Because of the Eight Hour Cream formula you can also use it to soothe your dry bits.
12. Collection Contouring Duo (£3.99)
If you only do one thing when you’re rocking out in a field, beer in hand, then pop on a touch of bronzer and highlighter. It’ll help your complexion to ooze health and rid you off those telltale signs associated with a lack of sleep, plus this is affordable enough to not matter if it gets smashed up on the way home.
13. No7 Pop & Glow Duo (£9.95)
A great alternative to powder, this makes adding a touch of colour to your face super easy. The chunky formula means you can just sweep a touch over the top of your cheeks, buffing in using your index finger to create an effortless glow. You can pop it in your bag for a cheeky evening top-up, while using the blush for lipstick and the highlighter for an eye shimmer too!
14. Topshop Lip & Cheek Smudge (£8.50) Another fab dual use product, this handy stick can work both as a lip colour and blush – thanks to the handy soft brush at the end which aids buffing for a natural flush. The formula won’t dry lips, plus it’s the perfect way to take your look from day to night when the sunnies come off and you’re feeling a little ‘face naked’.
15. Bagsy Lip Velvet (£12.00)
The perfect handbag size for a weekend away, this creamy formula provides a hint of colour and a sophisticated finish. If you can’t face taking away your expensive Urban Decay lipglosses, then this is a great alternative that won’t take up any room in your bag. The whole Bagsy range is well worth checking out ahead of festival or holiday season, as the collection has been designed to be the best edit of your makeup bag without taking up unnecessary room.
Have you tried any of my fifteen festival faves, or do you rely on any other products to help keep you looking fabulous all weekend long?
Features PR samples unless otherwise stated. To read my full disclaimer, click here.
SIGN UP TO THE LBQ FORTNIGHTLY NEWSLETTER HERE!
BLOG POSTS, NEWS, EXCLUSIVE OFFERS & COMPETITIONS DIRECT TO YOUR INBOX.