The Library of Fragrance: The Most Delicious & Unexpected Scents Ever!

Our sense of smell is the most powerful thing, transporting us back in time and evoking memories of once-forgotten moments. The scent of roses may take you back to a romantic proposal, while the scent of sea air may remind you of holidays past – but what about the fragrance of Play-Doh? The Library of Fragrance is an incredible brand that turns every scent imaginable into a delicious fragrance that you just want to wear, even if it’s rather unexpected. Their repertoire includes everything from Chocolate Chip Cookie and Lemon Meringue, to Baby Powder, Gin & Tonic and the scent of a Thunderstorm. If there’s a smell, then they’ve managed to bottle it and turn it into a wearable fragrance – even if at first glance you may think it unimaginable.

Established in 1996, The Library of Fragrance set out to create fragrances that captured all the wonderful smells that
surround us every day, but are too often under appreciated in our busy,
pressured, multi-tasking world. Although you may not think smelling of Play-Doh or Gin & Tonic is aspirational, the scents manage to capture the idea without dosing you in an overwhelming and unwearable note. The Play-Doh scent has a very distinctive undertone, but it’s not until you know what you’re smelling that you realise what it is; the same with Baby Powder and Gin & Tonic, which capture the emotions and tone that you recognise, without making you smell all kinds of odd.

The sweeter scents are much more obvious – I instantly recognised Chocolate Chip Cookie and Lemon Meringue – but incredibly wearable. However, the incarnation of Thunderstorm is unexpected and somewhat revolutionary; smelling like the aftermath of a downpour, you can definitely detect the notes of freshly disturbed soil. What’s great about this brand is that you can mix, match and layer fragrances to create a whole new scent; their ‘single note’ nature means that they express a single, identifiable smell or idea and do not change over time. You can play around to tone down a fragrance with a splash of something more subtle such as Baby Powder, or spice it up with a touch of Gin & Tonic – the possibilities are endless.

You may think these bottles of wonder will set you back a small fortune, but the great news is that they’re available from Boots priced only £15.00 each. There’s so much more to choose from too – including Black Pepper, Apple Pie, Cherry Blossom, Cucumber, Espresso, Fireplace, Ginger, Coconut, Leather, Lychee and Honey. Their repertoire is endless, so it’s definitely worth a look to see if you can find a fragrance with a special place in your heart; I know that my mum will love the Lemon Meringue scent, as it’s always been her favourite desert and a birthday treat. What better way to treat her this Mother’s Day than a scrummy pudding bottled?

The Library of Fragrance scents are available online and via Boots, priced £15.00.

1. Heather Nixon
    March 11, 2015 / 3:15 pm

I have four of their fragrances and I adore the lavender and mountain air colognes xHeather | Of Beauty & Nothingness x

2. Caroline Cooch
    March 11, 2015 / 3:50 pm

OMG these look amazing. My kids will love me if I wear the Play-Doh 🙂

3. Girlwiththeskew-earring
    March 11, 2015 / 3:56 pm

I spotted a small selection of these in my local Boots the otherday and walked out smelling of gin&tonic and jasmine, but I wanted more! Thunderstorm sounds like just what I need…

4. Amy Amynmore
    March 11, 2015 / 9:03 pm

This sound lovely and I will look out for them next time I'm in. Amy x

5. Julie McQueen
    March 11, 2015 / 9:20 pm

Great♥http://juliemcqueen.blogspot.com

6. gio
    March 11, 2015 / 9:31 pm

These sound great! And the bottles are very pretty as well. May pick up one or two, but which ones to choose? There are so many!

7. Dagmara K
    March 11, 2015 / 9:32 pm

I just bought the Daisy and Sunshine and they're both beautiful, especially Sunshine, it's my favourite scent at the moment. I'm absolutely intrigued by this brand and will definitely try more from them. Mummy’s Beauty Corner

8. Madeleine S-B
    March 11, 2015 / 9:37 pm

I love their Vanilla Ice Cream scent, but Thunderstorm sounds very intriguing – I'll have to try to find it! xwww.madeleineslittleblog.blogspot.co.uk

9. Jasmine Stewart
    March 11, 2015 / 10:06 pm

Mmm Chocolate Chip Cookie! They have some amazing-sounding scents on their website! I'm a little obsessed with buying new fragrances at the moment so I hope they're in my local Boots so I can go and have a sniff 🙂 xx Magpie Jasmine

10. Emyii Rankin
    March 12, 2015 / 2:28 am

I really need to smell these =] emyii90.blogspot.co.uk

11. Megan Lillie
    March 12, 2015 / 8:59 pm

I sniffed a few of these the other day and I didn't realise how strong they were! Amazing! They stick round for ages too!Megan xoThumbelina Lillie | UK Beauty Blog

12. Becky Smith
    March 13, 2015 / 12:39 am

I had a good sniff of a lot of these in Boots one day. Most was definitely pleasant but then I got to I think it was Fireplace and it was horrible, it just smelt burnt and charred! I tried layering Clean skin and Baby powder from the testers and it was amazing, just like babies! x Becky @ The Little Blog of Beauty

13. Louise
    March 14, 2015 / 9:15 am

I got the G&T one as kind of a joke, but I actually think it's a gorgeous fragrance. There's something about it that's just sexy! I don't think there's another way to describe it.Your description of Thunderstorm makes it sound right up my alley – I adore that post-torrential-downpour smell.Louise | Text, Pies and Videotape

14. Nikita Batavia
    March 16, 2015 / 2:10 pm

I have cherry blossom and love it! The gin and tonic one is also really interesting. Great post! Nikita | nikitabatavia.com