Save Time, Look Fabulous: The Twenty Best Beauty Hacks You’ll Ever Need

The best thing about the blogging community is that like-minded individuals can share their stories, tricks and tips so we’re all looking fabulous with the minimum time requirement possible. Beauty hacks have long been on my radar and are a constant source of inspiration; I’m always jotting down ideas and hacks that I stumble across, but it wasn’t until I started asking you guys for your favourites that I had the sudden urge to document them all down in a post. From creating your own leave-in conditioner, to helping your manicure last longer and applying perfect eyeliner in seconds, there are so many crazy ideas that really do make a difference. I’ve narrowed down my top twenty beauty hacks from personal experience, a little research and some of my fabulous readers’ contributions to give you an edit that will help you look and feel amazing every day.

1. Create your own leave-in conditioner by pouring regular conditioner and water into a spray bottle (one part conditioner to three parts water) and spritzing on to dry, dull hair.

2. Try mixing your foundation with a primer. It will give you
full coverage without looking caked on! (I love this one for ensuring
your makeup looks flawless, feels fab and stays in place.)
Contributed by Jade Elliot on Twitter

3. To fake a longer ponytail, divide hair into two ponytails about three inches apart. The top ponytail falls over the bottom one, concealing the elastic, so it looks like one long and luscious voluminous ponytail.

4. Use hand cream if your hair starts to frizz and you haven’t got any smoothing serum; just apply it to your hands as usual and run fingers lightly through your hair to use the excess to smooth.

5. When you buy a new product, write the first date of use
on it so you know when to throw it away. (As an advocate for regular
clear-outs, this is utterly genius.)
Contributed by Beauty At Tesco on Twitter

6. You can skip eyeliner if you apply mascara by wiggling the brush at the roots of lashes. This works especially well if you have a bushy brush, as it will leave residue at the base.

7. Gripping those pesky little nail polish
bottles is a nightmare, so wrap an elastic band around the lid for a
better grip. (I love this idea – cue me attaching bands to everything.)
Contributed by Beauty Queen UK on Twitter

8. Use lipstick as cream blush to add a flush of colour and to ensure your look is consistent and complementary; it’s great for on-the-go too.

9. If your manicure starts to chip, layer glitter polish over the top to distract the eye and hide any imperfections – you can get at least two more days out of it!

10. Pesky blemish? Before applying make up, press an ice
cube on to the spot to reduce the swelling and redness. (This really
does make it easier to conceal!)
Contributed by Lekha Mohanla on Twitter

11. To make your lipstick last longer, press tissue to your lips after applying and dust over it with translucent powder; this will make any lip color matte and set it so it lasts all day.

12. Apply clear mascara over black mascara to seal the color onto lashes and create a waterproof effect; there’s no need for a waterproof formula and it’s much easier to remove at the end of the day.

13. Save used tea bags, put them in the fridge overnight and
use them on the under-eye area to brighten and reduce puffiness. (The
classics are the best.)
Contributed by Lyn Hathaway on Twitter

14. Dab a little clear lip balm on the top of your lip (where your cupids bow is) to make your lips really pop. It may feel strange at first, but it looks awesome.

15. Use your lash curler to get the perfect eyeliner by ‘colouring in’ the edge opposite to the plastic cushion; when you press it against skin it will leave a perfectly drawn print.

16. Before styling, spray your
bobby pins with hairspray to stop them sliding out of your hair. (Who
knew such a simple trick could make such a difference?)
Contributed by Somerset Toiletry Company on Twitter

17. To ensure perfume lasts as long as possible, rub Vaseline on your pulse points before you spray it. The Vaseline helps to create a barrier and stops the fragrance being fully absorbed into skin.

18. Prime your eyes with a base of white liner before applying eye makeup to really ensure your colorful shadows and liners stand out.

19. Got clumpy mascara? Mix a little contact solution into the bottle to help break it up and ensure it lasts longer… Genius.

20. Using a credit card to create winged eyeliner makes it so much easier, while ensuring it’s even. (If you struggle with liner then this is definitely one to try.)
Contributed by Kerry McKittrick on Twitter

Do you have any favourite beauty hacks that you simply couldn’t be without? Do you use any of these top twenty hacks yourself, or have any you think I should add to the list?

1. Vivian Yuen
    January 17, 2015 / 10:58 am

I frequently mix my primer with foundation! Some great beauty time saving tips here~LIVE.IN.LOVE ~

2. alicekatex
    January 17, 2015 / 11:02 am

Such good ideas here! Mixing foundation and primer is something I'm going to start doing more! xalicekatex ♥

3. Mary Tohill
    January 17, 2015 / 12:08 pm

Love the one about perfume lasting longer – genius because nearly everyone will have a tin of Vaseline lying around somewhere!Mary // beautyonthecheap.net

4. Dusty Foxes
    January 17, 2015 / 1:28 pm

Instead of using a card for eyeliner (since I tend to hold a mirror in my other hand), I use post it notes or tape stuck on! It's also better if you have shaky hands 😀 I love posts like these Dusty Foxes Beauty

5. KayPage
    January 17, 2015 / 4:04 pm

Great post! I like this one, will be using some of these tips!Kay, ohkay-dohkay.com

6. Hanna Rose
    January 17, 2015 / 5:55 pm

These are some great ideas! I've wanted to try the tea bag one (for de-puffing eyes) for ages but I've never heard of the Vaseline one (for longer lasting fragrance) or the credit card one (for perfect winged liner). I will be giving these a go soon! 🙂 xxwww.missbeautysaver.com

7. Toni Clarke
    January 17, 2015 / 10:09 pm

Brilliant post, these sound like such good hacks that I've honestly never thought to try out before. I'll definitely be giving the foundation and primer trick a try! xxclarkecouture.blogspot.co.uk

8. Leanne Winters
    January 17, 2015 / 10:23 pm

I really enjoyed reading these tips. I love the eyelash curler one xxLeannewinters.blogspot.co.uk

9. Jay S
    January 17, 2015 / 11:12 pm

Great tips. I really enjoyed reading through them!!withinjayslife.blogspot.ca

10. beautybyalicee
    January 18, 2015 / 12:41 am

There are some really good tips in here, I must try the clumpy mascara trick on my own! alice xo | beautybyalicee | bloglovin'

11. Caroline T
    January 18, 2015 / 1:23 am

Great Tips, will try the vaseline on my pulse points ! – Caroline thecoralpineapple.blogspot.ca

12. Molly
    January 18, 2015 / 1:42 am

Great tips! I love to mix my foundation with a moisturizer and a liquid highlighter to make it more light and dewy. It's the easiest way to fix cakey foundation.http://mollyandstacie.com

13. Michelle Lim
    January 18, 2015 / 2:43 am

Wonderful tips, Hayley. I've been using body lotion as leave-in conditioners on those off-days when I don't wash my hair, and they work brilliantly for flyaways!

14. Kelsey Miklos
    January 18, 2015 / 5:25 pm

I've heard of using a spoon for eyeliner, but never a credit card! I'll try that tonight! Thanks :)iamkelskels.blogspot.com

15. Nicola Wood
    January 19, 2015 / 10:01 pm

I'm giving the credit card eyeliner one a try. It might mean more Loren and less Sparrow!

16. Ella Catherine
    January 20, 2015 / 12:09 pm

I loved this post-have screenshoted it so I can use these tips while doing my makeup! Love the credit card idea, i have so many random loyalty cards that may finally come in handy! Ella catherine xx

17. Metallic Crayon
    January 20, 2015 / 8:25 pm

Love this post!

18. lisa prince
    January 21, 2015 / 4:09 pm

what a great post hun, ive taken some of these hints for my new learning curve challenge

19. Panda Eyes
    January 22, 2015 / 11:02 am

Such good tips! Took screenshots of them all so I can try them out when I next put my makeup on 🙂 One of my favourites is to use a tiny amount of clear lipgloss as a brow gel – helps keep those wayward, curly brows at bay ! http://www.peppermintandpandaeyes.co.uk

20. Emmy Palmer
    January 24, 2015 / 1:35 am

I love the idea of wrapping elastic bands around nail polish lids! Especially the ridged ones like Formula X or Butter London, they always seem to catch my skin instead of helping the opening process.

21. Nail Pixi
    January 24, 2015 / 11:06 am

I sometimes mix my fav powder blush with Vaseline to make a dewy finish. Love the credit card trick no more lop sided liners for me!!! X

22. Alysha Paulsen
    January 31, 2015 / 11:25 am

I am most certainly going to try these tricks as they sounds really good. To get smooth feet apply vaseline all over your feet and wear socks and they will be silky smooth.http://alyshapaulsen.blogspot.co.uk/