The best thing about the blogging community is that like-minded individuals can share their stories, tricks and tips so we’re all looking fabulous with the minimum time requirement possible. Beauty hacks have long been on my radar and are a constant source of inspiration; I’m always jotting down ideas and hacks that I stumble across, but it wasn’t until I started asking you guys for your favourites that I had the sudden urge to document them all down in a post. From creating your own leave-in conditioner, to helping your manicure last longer and applying perfect eyeliner in seconds, there are so many crazy ideas that really do make a difference. I’ve narrowed down my top twenty beauty hacks from personal experience, a little research and some of my fabulous readers’ contributions to give you an edit that will help you look and feel amazing every day.
1. Create your own leave-in conditioner by pouring regular conditioner and water into a spray bottle (one part conditioner to three parts water) and spritzing on to dry, dull hair.
2. Try mixing your foundation with a primer. It will give you
full coverage without looking caked on! (I love this one for ensuring
your makeup looks flawless, feels fab and stays in place.)
Contributed by Jade Elliot on Twitter
3. To fake a longer ponytail, divide hair into two ponytails about three inches apart. The top ponytail falls over the bottom one, concealing the elastic, so it looks like one long and luscious voluminous ponytail.
4. Use hand cream if your hair starts to frizz and you haven’t got any smoothing serum; just apply it to your hands as usual and run fingers lightly through your hair to use the excess to smooth.
5. When you buy a new product, write the first date of use
on it so you know when to throw it away. (As an advocate for regular
clear-outs, this is utterly genius.)
Contributed by Beauty At Tesco on Twitter
6. You can skip eyeliner if you apply mascara by wiggling the brush at the roots of lashes. This works especially well if you have a bushy brush, as it will leave residue at the base.
7. Gripping those pesky little nail polish
bottles is a nightmare, so wrap an elastic band around the lid for a
better grip. (I love this idea – cue me attaching bands to everything.)
Contributed by Beauty Queen UK on Twitter
8. Use lipstick as cream blush to add a flush of colour and to ensure your look is consistent and complementary; it’s great for on-the-go too.
9. If your manicure starts to chip, layer glitter polish over the top to distract the eye and hide any imperfections – you can get at least two more days out of it!
10. Pesky blemish? Before applying make up, press an ice
cube on to the spot to reduce the swelling and redness. (This really
does make it easier to conceal!)
Contributed by Lekha Mohanla on Twitter
11. To make your lipstick last longer, press tissue to your lips after applying and dust over it with translucent powder; this will make any lip color matte and set it so it lasts all day.
12. Apply clear mascara over black mascara to seal the color onto lashes and create a waterproof effect; there’s no need for a waterproof formula and it’s much easier to remove at the end of the day.
13. Save used tea bags, put them in the fridge overnight and
use them on the under-eye area to brighten and reduce puffiness. (The
classics are the best.)
Contributed by Lyn Hathaway on Twitter
14. Dab a little clear lip balm on the top of your lip (where your cupids bow is) to make your lips really pop. It may feel strange at first, but it looks awesome.
15. Use your lash curler to get the perfect eyeliner by ‘colouring in’ the edge opposite to the plastic cushion; when you press it against skin it will leave a perfectly drawn print.
16. Before styling, spray your
bobby pins with hairspray to stop them sliding out of your hair. (Who
knew such a simple trick could make such a difference?)
Contributed by Somerset Toiletry Company on Twitter
17. To ensure perfume lasts as long as possible, rub Vaseline on your pulse points before you spray it. The Vaseline helps to create a barrier and stops the fragrance being fully absorbed into skin.
18. Prime your eyes with a base of white liner before applying eye makeup to really ensure your colorful shadows and liners stand out.
19. Got clumpy mascara? Mix a little contact solution into the bottle to help break it up and ensure it lasts longer… Genius.
20. Using a credit card to create winged eyeliner makes it so much easier, while ensuring it’s even. (If you struggle with liner then this is definitely one to try.)
Contributed by Kerry McKittrick on Twitter
Do you have any favourite beauty hacks that you simply couldn’t be without? Do you use any of these top twenty hacks yourself, or have any you think I should add to the list?
SIGN UP TO THE LBQ FORTNIGHTLY NEWSLETTER HERE!
BLOG POSTS, NEWS, EXCLUSIVE OFFERS & COMPETITIONS DIRECT TO YOUR INBOX.