Benefit’s NEW Roller Lash Mascara: Hyped Up Or The Next Big Thing?

Benefit seem to continually churn out new products that generate a huge amount of buzz – justified or otherwise. It may be their pretty packaging, quirky names or innovative offerings, but there’s something about a piece of Benefit makeup that makes us all go ‘oooooh!’ This February it’s the turn of Roller Lash, the much hyped mascara that’s been previewed with Elle Magazine in an industry first; no other place could you get your hands on this latest launch without buying the glossy mag and self-indulgently flicking through the pages. I’ve had a preview of this little magic wand for a week or so and have been putting it through it’s paces, ready to pick its performance apart for the good of all you lovely readers. Knowing their previous ‘cult like’ mascara is not a favourite of mine by any means (am I the only one that just doesn’t get on with They’re Real?) I was incredibly skeptical… But my skepticism was unjustified as I soon discovered Roller Lash is really rather fabulous and well worth a try.

Designed to replicate the performance of hair rollers, Roller Lash mascara claims to lift lashes and provide up to twelve hours hold thanks to their innovative brush. The slight curve contains lots of little plastic bristles that also feature tiny ‘hooks’ to essentially catch lashes and style them ‘upwards’; the result is a lash line that is uplifted and curled, so you can ditch the eyelash curler every morning. The formula provides a clump-free finish that ensures lashes are defined, well coated and lifted to ensure your peepers look wide awake – great if you’re actually feeling like you need a third coffee before 10am. Working the brush into the roots and combing upwards repeatedly really helps lashes to lift and stay put, providing a result that lasts all day and can even be topped up if you need an extra boost (thanks to the lightweight formula and handy comb-like brush.)

I love a mascara that provides my lashes with lift, making them more visible and creating the illusion of a fuller lash line; Roller Lash provides all that and more, helping to create the same gentle effect as an eyelash curler without the faff. Although it’s definitely not a volumising mascara and won’t revolutionise your routine in the way the marketing leads you to believe, it does help provide definition and an impressive finish without overloading lashes – perfect if you want to look like you’ve got awesome lashes but can’t deal with falsies or applying twenty coats of your usual product. Knowing I really don’t rate They’re Real or a lot of the other Benefit mascaras, I was all set to hate this and slate it; however, the result was really rather impressive and has injected a much needed touch of excitement around Benefit’s eye category for me. If you want to try it for yourself I’d definitely recommend picking up a copy of Elle Magazine this month, giving you a preview of a product that I’m confident you’ll want to buy in full size.

Are you excited to try the Roller Lash Mascara? Are you a fan of Benefit’s other mascaras?

The new Roller Lash Mascara launches March 2015 priced £19.50.

1. Charlotte
    January 31, 2015 / 3:11 pm

I hated the They're Real mascara, it did nothing for my lashes. In fact I'm not a big fan of any Benefit stuff, I get sucked into trying it and always find it dissapointing…I can feel myself getting drawn to this too…I might get them to try it out on me next time I'm by a counter but i don't know if i can justify £19.50 on a msacara when my last favourite one is under £3 from Avon lol

• Emmy Palmer
      February 3, 2015 / 1:23 am

I'm totally with you on the They're Real mascara, I really wanted to like it, but it just did nothing for me. Though I do tend to like a lot of the non mascara products Benefit comes out with…

2. Nadja
    January 31, 2015 / 3:17 pm

I wasn't too impressed with They're Real mascara as well, but I've been noticing some really good reviews for this one, so I hope I can try it soon and see for myself.http://mmemento-mmori.blogspot.com

3. beautybyalicee
    January 31, 2015 / 3:58 pm

I picked up the sample in Elle magazine and I love love love it, I did a first impressions post here: http://t.co/jPbIKPcEC6 I loved your post and your photos are so pretty.alice x | beautybyalicee

4. Emma Louise
    January 31, 2015 / 4:16 pm

Iv seen good reviews for this but for me personally i prefer thicker wands for a mascara xEmma | Emmys Blog

5. Lizzie Venni
    January 31, 2015 / 4:28 pm

I picked up the sample yesterday in Elle, I was a little sceptical as I'm so picky when it comes to mascara but I actually really liked it, think I may even make a purchase when its released.oxoxLizziebeauteox.blogspot.co.uk

6. Jaime @ GirlLovesGloss.com
    January 31, 2015 / 4:35 pm

Ok, now I might be interested to try this, because I too really dislike They're Real.I found it super spidery and did nothing to hold the curl. Not to mention I felt like it took ages to dry on my lashes leaving them feeling sticky.

7. Sarah Montgomery
    January 31, 2015 / 7:07 pm

I liked They're Real mascara so I'm excited to try this. Curling my eyelashes is the least favourite part of my routine so interested to see if this ives up to the hype.

• Minoushe Grant
      February 1, 2015 / 12:08 am

Snap Sarah, I loved they're real mascara..can't wait to try the new one xx

8. jenny sherlock
    January 31, 2015 / 8:26 pm

interesting to see that i dont stand alone in thinking 'they're real' is awful , its put me off benefit mascaras, it will have to be good to tear me away from charlotte tilbury's full fat lashes or when i can get my hands on it too faced ' better than sex'

9. Hannah Boxall
    January 31, 2015 / 8:46 pm

I wasn't that keen on the They're Real mascara, but so far the mini size of this mascara has pleased me! xxhttp://heyitshannaah.blogspot.co.uk/

10. Saloca
    January 31, 2015 / 8:49 pm

They're Real never really worked for me, but Maybellines The Falsies has always be a staple in my beauty big. It has a similar wand giving curl, lift, fullness and definition, it's never failed me yet! If I can pick up a copy of Elle I'll give this one a go though!Sarah :)Saloca in Wonderland

11. Karishma Ravalia
    January 31, 2015 / 8:53 pm

I bought Elle yesterday with the sample size. Can't wait to try it. Sounds like a good mascara x

12. Jasmine Stewart
    January 31, 2015 / 11:04 pm

I do like it so far though I think I prefer They're Real if I'm going to spend £20 on a mascara! xx Magpie Jasmine

13. Alysha Paulsen
    February 1, 2015 / 11:29 am

I didn't know they had a new mascara coming out but now I do and I have to say I like They're Real but I don't think it is as good as the hype suggests but I am excited to try this and I think I need to buy the Elle Magazine just to try it as I am a mascara obsessive and I love Benefit.http://alyshapaulsen.blogspot.co.uk/

14. WhatWouldJadeDo Jade McShane
    February 1, 2015 / 6:51 pm

I got the sample in Elle magazine as well. I have to say I'm not that impressed, it does nothing for me really. I loved They're Real but found it dried out quickly for the £20 price tag. I got the Maybelline Lash Sensational a few days ago and it's fantastic – for £5.99! It's one of the best mascara's I've ever tried so I think I'm going to save my pennies and give this one a miss when it's launched. Jade x http://www.whatwouldjadedo.com

15. Cojo Graab
    February 1, 2015 / 9:18 pm

I really want to try this mascara, but I was trying many very good mascaras that don't work on my lashes. They are short, not curly at all and just nasty:( But I'm still really tempted to buy this one!cojograab.blogspot.co.uk

16. Mary Bloomy
    February 2, 2015 / 1:33 am

I have the sample one that comes in Elle waiting for me! I'll only be able to try it by the end of the month but it seems to be quite amazing! Expecting great things from ti 🙂 xx Mary Bloomy

17. Kylie
    February 2, 2015 / 12:28 pm

I am also not a fan of 'They're Real' but as I love benefit I went and got my sample 'Roller Lashes' in Elle yesterday and I love it! Long, individual lashes, not clumpy at all and the curl is still going strong. This is going to get expensive…..

18. Emma Buckee
    February 2, 2015 / 4:08 pm

I swear by 'They're Real' and have done since it launched, but I am getting to the wanting to try something new stage (normally I never stick with just one product, unless it's from Benefit!) and I'm so glad this one lives up to the hype. Still waiting for my copy of ELLE to arrive so I can try it!Emma // EMMABYDESIGN

19. Stellar Pink
    February 3, 2015 / 12:27 pm

I've just got my sample of 'Roller Lashes' from elle to try. I'm quite hopeful after reading your post as similarly I wasn't fan of 'They're Real' either x

20. Lucy M
    February 4, 2015 / 7:16 pm

I am really interested in trying this, I have heard a lot of good reviews!xOoh La Luce | Fashion, Beauty, Lifestyle

21. A Spoonful Of Beauty
    February 7, 2015 / 3:27 pm

I loved the they're real mascara so for Benefit to bring out another mascara is going to be interesting. I can't wait to try it.http://beautylifemakeup.blogspot.co.uk