A Gentle Awakening: Can The Lumie Light Provide You With A Spring In Your Step Every Morning?

I would love to be one of those people that jumps out of bed at 6am, ready to face the day with a hop, skip and a jump – but I’m not. I’ve never been a morning person, preferring to peel myself away from the sheets as slowly as possible while I mourn the lost hours of bed comfort having to make a living brings. Ever since I was a child I’ve needed at least eight hours of sleep; any less and I don’t function as well, greeting everything with a grump and a frown. Over the years the problem has gotten worse and I found it progressively harder to jump-start my day without feeling constantly exhausted or like I needed a mid-afternoon nap. The winter months are the hardest, greeting me with a wet and dark, dreary day that doesn’t scream ‘jump out of bed and come out to play’ like a bright flare of sunshine can. For some time I’d been thinking of investing in a Lumie Light Bodyclock to help inject a little energy into my mornings and start the day off as I intended it to progress, but this January I took the plunge and finally placed an order.

The Lumie Bodyclock is the original wake-up light (also
called a dawn simulator) that wakes you gradually with increasing
natural light. The science bit is that this light is a signal for your
body to ease the production of sleep hormones and increase those that
help you get up and go; there’s a reason why we all feel a little more
productive during the summer months and feel like hibernating during
January. Ever since the dawn of time the rise of the sun has been a sign
for our body to kick-start and undertake the tasks ahead, so it makes
perfect sense that a bedside light that wakes you up gradually will have
a positive impact. Theoretically ‘wake-up lights’ help to keep your
sleep cycle on track, boosting your mood, energy and productivity levels
all day. A 30-minute sunrise emitted from the Lumie Light wakes you
naturally and gradually, providing a ‘sun ray’ effect projected onto the
wall behind. You can even use it as a bedside light thanks to the
dimmable feature, as well as utilising the 30-minute fading sunset to
help wind down for bed.

So, has the Lumie Light
had a significant impact upon my well-being and energy levels over the
last couple of weeks? Essentially, yes. The gradual increase of light is
very subtle, only waking me within five minutes of my intended ‘alarm’
time and definitely providing a sense of daytime – unlike my blackout
blinds that could convince me it’s the middle of the night at 11am.
There’s no shock to the system, no sudden burst of beeping you scramble
around to switch off and no sinking feeling of ‘oh bloody hell’ as you
rip away the covers. I’ve definitely found waking up gradually helps me
to get more stuff done in the morning, rather than rushing around trying
to get ready in 40 minutes because I’ve pressed snooze three times. The
key, I’ve noticed, is to take a few minutes to wake properly and then
just get out of bed… If I bum around for another fifteen or twenty
minutes after I’ve woken up I find it much harder to kick-start my
morning; the benefit is definitely in the immediacy of energy!

I
also really love the ‘sunset’ function that helps you wind down at the
end of an evening; I’ve tended to use this while watching telly or
applying my overnight treatments, so within thirty minutes I’m in ‘sleep
mode’ and ready to snooze. Because it turns off by itself it removes
the need for scrambling around for the bedside light button when you’re
already half asleep! At around £60.00 these aren’t a cheap gadget, but
that (for me) is a small price to pay for increased energy and a gentle
awakening – plus way cheaper than a daily can of Redbull or a caffeine
addiction… I would thoroughly recommend the Lumie Light if you’re
suffering from winter blues, struggle in the mornings or just need more
bounce in your step. These devices are intended to treat SAD and are
medically approved too, meaning there must be something proven within
them to work; they’re a great investment and a great way of being good
to yourself this dreary winter.

Have you got your own Lumie Light? Are you intrigued to put one to the test yourself?

The Lumie Light is available online priced from £59.99.

1. Sarah Montgomery
    January 29, 2015 / 9:49 am

these did nothing for me. the light is too artifical.

• London Beauty Queen
      January 29, 2015 / 12:42 pm

It's got a special lightbulb in it to make it 'natural' – maybe yours didn't?

2. beautyqueenuk
    January 29, 2015 / 1:08 pm

I do really love the sound of this the more I read about it x

3. Catherine Sayer
    January 29, 2015 / 1:20 pm

This sounds amazing! Really want to give this a go xxhttp://cocoamay.blogspot.co.uk

4. Kiss & Make-up
    January 29, 2015 / 2:02 pm

I have a Philips Wake Up Light and I love it. 9 out of 10 I wake up just with the light, no alarm needed.

5. Philippa
    January 29, 2015 / 2:55 pm

This is on my wish list too (:Great review – has only made me more eager to get one (:ABlogByPhilippa

6. KiwiCat
    January 29, 2015 / 6:54 pm

I've never heard of that but it sounds interesting. I like the tint of the light in the picture and how it's not too bright. Do they sell it in the US?Kiersten | KiwiCat

• London Beauty Queen
      January 30, 2015 / 8:47 am

You can get via Amazon so I am 99% sure.

7. Daisy
    January 29, 2015 / 9:14 pm

I really like the sound of this. I have a lot of problems getting to sleep at night so I think that the sunset setting would be very useful for me.

8. Urban Import UK
    January 29, 2015 / 9:52 pm

I love the idea of these, I guess I've always just been skeptical if they actually do work or not because i could literally sleep through anything (and have)

9. Beki Cadd
    January 30, 2015 / 1:57 pm

I love my Lumie Light! I really struggle in the winter when the mornings are so dark, and this has definitely helped 🙂

10. Lily Lipstick
    January 30, 2015 / 9:34 pm

I've been meaning to buy one of these for a while – I really struggle with energy levels when there's so little daylight. x

January 30, 2015 / 10:12 pm

I've been wanting to purchase one for some time, but I think now is maybe the time to finally get round to it! You fully described me in your opening paragraph and I too am horrendous in the mornings and Winter, not wanting to get up at all. Although I'd never expect a miracle cure, this sounds like it could go some way in helping me. Thank you for the review.Rebecca-Louise | Autumn Leaves

January 31, 2015 / 1:13 pm

I cant believe you used the phrase 'mong around' in this…are you for real?!

• London Beauty Queen
      January 31, 2015 / 2:06 pm

I honestly didn't know it's correct meaning until you pointed it out and I googled it. I can only apologise and have amended the post to remove the reference.

13. Georgina
    February 3, 2015 / 11:58 am

I've been toying with the idea of buying this my boyfriend for his birthday. He works nights and so blackout blinds are a must but then that also makes waking up difficult. I'm really glad you reviewed this, liked it and found a difference in waking up! Thank you.

14. defairmans
    February 4, 2015 / 7:29 pm

I have one of these and like it a lot although I don't think I have fully worked out its functions yet. When I am sleeping with my back to it, it doesn't always wake me up. I like that it works as a bedside light and on the model I have, you can add natural sounds, like birdsong to wake me up.

15. The Words of Beauty
    February 7, 2015 / 5:42 pm

I need one of these! No matter how many times or how loud my alarm clock goes off it never seems to get the job done. – http://www.thewordsofbeauty.co.uk