Everyone Can Wear Red Lipstick (You Just Need To Know My Top Tips!)

A slick of red lipstick can help every woman feel confident, have a renewed sense of self-belief and ooze strength. There’s something about the powerful shade that makes men weak at the knees, women sit up and take notice and even old ladies on the street crack a smile. Red is the hue of passion, love and romance, so there’s no doubt it can have an incredible impact on your overall makeup look as well as your wardrobe. Although many fear the colour, it’s actually incredible easy to wear a red lip – you just need to know which one and how!

Know Your Boundaries
Red lips can look incredible when worn either day or night, but the key to a phenomenal lip is keeping it simple. The rest of your look should be paired down, leaving the focus on your incredible pout. Try leaving the smokey eyes for another day and focusing on a simple flick of liner – powerful lips and eyes are not unlike boobs and legs; it’s one or the other.

Opt For The Right Shade
Paler complexions can get away with darker and more daring shades, while blondes should stick to something classic that’s not too orangey – it will cheapen the overall look. A hint of berry or fuschia can make reds more wearable if you’re a little concerned about going the whole hog, while a classic vintage shade looks good on everyone. If in doubt, ask for assistance in store and get them to test a number of shades on you; it’s hard to understand what will work without seeing it in action.

Invest In Something You Love
There’s no point buying
from a brand you think you should love, or opting for the iconic shade
everyone always talks about. You need to find your own personal shade
that works for you, your complexion, your needs and your budget – fall
in love with a red and you’ll be re-purchasing it for the next ten
years. Reds should be classic, sexy and above all fun.

Make It Last
The key to having confidence in your red lips is making them last as long as possible. Lining, blotting and building up colour will help the shade to stay put, while adding a touch of balm or gloss will ensure lips feel comfortable. (Have a read of my top tips for making lipstick last here!) If you’re constantly transferring lipstick marks onto wine glasses and coffee cups, it’s safe to say you won’t be pulling out the red on a daily basis.

Match Your Outfit
Although red lips practically go with everything and are a great way of smartening up an otherwise simple outfit, they should be worn with the right items and colours. I personally think red lips look great with a simple colour palette and streamlined silhouette, rather than lots of faff and patterns. Consider your makeup a part of your outfit and pair together pieces that you know will work together. It will provide a huge confidence boost!

Do you have any top tips on how to wear red lipstick?

1. Paola Ysabel
    November 2, 2014 / 10:28 am

Great tips! I have several red lippies that I'm still trying to work in on my daily get up. :)Paola // Resuscitate

2. AnjelCo
    November 2, 2014 / 11:55 am

I know everyone says that the right red lipstick will make your teeth whiter but I am yet to come across any! What's your opinion on this, fact or myth?Always enjoy reading your posts!XAnjel// anjelco.blogspot.com

• London Beauty Queen
      November 2, 2014 / 6:49 pm

A lot of makeup artists swear by it and I think some shades do make my smile look brighter, but I guess it's to do with your own perception!

3. Valerie S
    November 2, 2014 / 12:01 pm

Great tips! I love to wear red lipstick and I think I finally found the right shade for me. I also love to use lip pencils because I love matt red lips and it lasts longer then normal lipstick is my experience. x Valerie | Valerie Randomness

4. Julia
    November 2, 2014 / 1:54 pm

Great tips!! I'm wearing a red lip right now (MAC Ruby Woo) and I can't get enough. Seriously, my red collection is too big to sustain right now… x Julia |Wing me a dream

• Minty
      November 3, 2014 / 12:09 am

I love MAC Ruby Woo- a real classy red x

5. septhyne riadi
    November 2, 2014 / 3:15 pm

What brand is the lipstick from second right? Looks amazing!Nail Masque

• London Beauty Queen
      November 2, 2014 / 6:48 pm

It's a Lipstick Queen one – but a limited edition. x

6. Dannie - Famous in Japan
    November 2, 2014 / 3:39 pm

I love red lipsticks! My tip would be to wear them around the house and get used to wearing them before you wear them outside if you don't feel confident or a little shy šŸ™‚ Dannie xwww.famousinjapan.co.uk

7. Missmacbeauty
    November 2, 2014 / 4:30 pm

These shades look beautiful- I need to give some of them a try!Missmacbeauty | Missmacbeauty

8. beautyqueenuk
    November 2, 2014 / 7:52 pm

I've struggled to find my perfect red, I always look washed out x

9. Mary Bloomy
    November 2, 2014 / 11:49 pm

I have 3 red lipsticks but always go for the nudes or plums, it's safe to say I haven't found the one for me yet! xx Mary Bloomy

10. Laura Black
    November 3, 2014 / 11:56 am

Loved your tips! I find that going for a matte or velvet red always makes me feel more comfortable šŸ™‚ xxBlog With Laura

11. Alison Reeve
    November 3, 2014 / 5:54 pm

This is so helpful! I've always been scared of a red lip and shyed away from buying one, but now I might consider one! xx

12. Palettes and Ferrules
    November 6, 2014 / 1:02 pm

Thank you for these tips, Hayley! Just a question, would you consider that second shade from the right to be a more complexion-friendly shade in general? It looks like a classic red, but I could be wrong. It does look lovely. From what brand and what shade is it, btw? :)Kissel ā”‚www.palettesnferrules.com

• London Beauty Queen
      November 6, 2014 / 5:34 pm

It's a limited edition one from Lipstick Queen – and it is quite a generic colour, but maybe a little darker for some. It's definitely one of the 'go to' shades though, so worth a try!

• Palettes and Ferrules
      November 7, 2014 / 2:54 pm

Thanks Hayley! I don't usually go for darker red shades, but some say it's more wearable than orange-toned red ones. That one looks really nice though. Seeing as it's a LE item, I think I would have to find a shade similar to that one.

13. Katherine Joan
    November 6, 2014 / 5:17 pm

I found warm reds look the best on my complexion. And love the orange too! :)www.thebeautycandle.blogspot.com

14. Charlotte
    November 7, 2014 / 4:03 pm

Great tips! I wear red lips for years and years, but I notice that a lot of my friends are kinda affraid to pull them off! Your tips might be really helpfull <3http://fashionfixeshearts.blogspot.com

15. Leanne Marshall
    November 10, 2014 / 2:42 pm

Love this post Hayley! My favorite is the Bourjois Rouge edition in Hot Pepper. I really like this bold lip colour! Leanne @ L.E.M Beauty Blog | Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet