The Little Black Dress

If you look in my wardrobe there’s a section completely dedicated to the classic LBD. Little Black Dresses in every style, length and shape, ready to be a life-saver at the last minute when I just can’t find a thing to wear. New research shows that the classic Little Black Dress has an 11 year life span, with the average British woman claiming to have worn their favourite more than 140 times.
Over 90% of women admit to having at least one little black dress in their wardrobe, (What about the other 10%? Are you crazy?) 48% of women said they owned around 5 LBDs and a fabulous 27% said they owned seven or more little black dresses. I have to admit I’m probably in the 2% that confess to having over twenty of the little blighters. When LBD lovers were asked whether or not they had a favourite little black dress in their wardrobe, nearly 60% said that they had one lucky LBD that they saved for special occasions – everyone needs a ‘lucky’ fallback. The ultimate LBD is definitely a treasured possession: the average LBD was owned for 7 years, with the majority of women expecting a classic black number to last them 4 years. Little Black Dresses not only work as wardrobe staples, enabling you to accessorise and upgrade a simple shift in a few swift moments, but it helps you look and feel great. No other item can take you from desk to date without a mild panic, or from lunch with a your mum to cocktails at the bar with your mates. I’ve got so many LBDs it’s verging on an obsession, but they’re the only item of clothing I don’t get bored of and chuck in the direction of a charity shop. How many LBDs do you have lurking in your wardrobe?



  1. Callie Rose
    February 11, 2013 / 8:26 pm

    I'm the 48% that's have around 5 LBDs 🙂 although I only really wear one of them!

  2. Lauren
    February 11, 2013 / 9:50 pm

    Ditto, I don't have that many black dresses, I'm the one who sticks with colourful dresses :)

  3. Rachel@TheBeautyHall
    February 11, 2013 / 10:53 pm

    I have six, but there's one in particular that I wish I'd bought six of! It was a bargain from H&M and it's the most perfect cut and gorgeous fabric. By far my favourite thing to wear. xx

  4. Gemma Turner
    February 12, 2013 / 4:28 am

    I love my LBDs. I would be happy to only wear lbds for the rest of my life for night's out! So slimming and versatile ♥

Leave a Reply


Looking for Something?